Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Pay it Forward

A few months ago I started a new job working at the Brigham Young University Bookstore.  This week is "Pay it Forward" week.  Pay it Forward (or Choose to Give) is a fundraiser that gives students - and anyone interested - the opportunity to help other students.  The money raised goes toward students struggling to pay tuition.
The theme of the fundraiser reminded me of an experience so long ago when my honey and I returned from our honeymoon.  But first, a little background.
Since my being sealed to my man, I have focused on two things:  1) Me and 2) My Husband.  Weddings are fun because you do get to focus on just the two of you.  It's a time to celebrate your relationship and the step you both chose to take. 
As we moved into our new home, I was still caught up in the excitement of the presents, our new home, and being a wife.  I remember Christopher coming home from work one evening and seeing the presents in our front room.  He stopped.  His gaze traveled  from present to present, then his soft, teary eyes rested on me. 
A little confused by the tears, he shared a few stories from his 2 year mission in Chile.  The one I remember most was of a man who wanted to marry the woman he was living with to show her and to show God his commitment.  He worked and worked, but could not come up with the money to pay for a marriage license.  I had a flashback to the moment I sent in the $60 check and in application for our marriage license.  I paused ever so briefly before sealing the envelope thinking, "how many packs of gum could I buy with $60?" (my way of measuring the value of a purchase).  I knew it was worth it and without another thought the envelope was off with the morning post.  I had only spent a moment's thought on the money it would take to marry my love while 5728.4 miles away, one man could not find a way to do what I'd done in 2 min. 
The story touched me, and I began to look at our room differently as the generosity of our family, friends and our parents friends sunk in.  Before we fell asleep that night, we talked about what we could do show our gratitude for the generosity we'd received.  Our decision was to focus our lives on lifting others, or in other words we decided to "Pay it Forward".
I was reminded of our motto by the fund raiser, and it's changed the way I think.  It has changed the way I work.  It's changed the way I walk: I don't look down; I look outward, seeking to find "What more can I do that is righteous?"  (Kristen Oaks, Author of "A Single Voice").
I feel invigorated, losing the selfishness of "I want" or "I got".  Instead of focusing on myself and what I might lack, I had tried to focus on what I can give.  It's been fun seeing how this small shift in thinking has affected those around me.
Try it out!  What more can you do for someone else?  When you start to think selfishly, stop.  See what you have, and how you can use it to help or to lift others!  Guaranteed, folks: it'll brighten your day and someone else's.

No comments:

Post a Comment